A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Friday, 30 June 2017

The Ordinary Coverage Foundation | Does it Live Up To The Hype?


The Ordinary Coverage Foundation Review





Never before have I witness such a long waiting list for a makeup item such as this one! It seems everyone and their nan has been eagerly waiting with anticipation since the launch of these Serum and Coverage foundations from The Ordinary. It's been crazy!

You may remember me already receiving and loving the Serum foundation - review here if you want to find out more - which I originally ordered the same time as the Coverage foundation way back in the beginning of May. Well the Coverage foundation has finally arrived, and I've been trialling it for a couple of weeks now. It's time to share my thoughts. (Spoiler alert!) One thing I will say is this foundation really had me scratching at the head!



The Ordinary Coverage Foundation Review

Packaging and Shades 


The Coverage Foundation 30ml retails at £5.90, and just like the Serum, comes in the same small plastic bottle with a pump dispenser. Before dispensing, the pump needs to be turned half way to open.

Again, it offers 21 shades that comes equipped with numbers to represent each shade, depth and undertone. The undertones are: Y -Yellow, N-Neutral, P- Pink, R- Red. There are a further 2 that share a metallic highlight: NS - Neutral Silver and YG - Yellow Gold. These are only featured in a small number of shades.

At the time of ordering, I chose 3 shades because I had no clue as to what they'd turn out like when compared to the guide online; plus I was convinced I would love this formula more than the Serum one due to the coverage aspect. It turned out 2.0N was the closest match, although now Summers here it's a little too light and looks a little chalky. 2.1Y was way too Yellow and 2.1P which is what I got with the Serum foundation, was this time way too dark! So I either warmed it up a bit by adding bronzer or mixed a tiny drop of 2.1P with the 2.0N to get the right shade. These coverage formulas are very pigmented!

The Ordinary Coverage Foundation Review 

The Formula



The formula comes with an  SPF15. The texture is definitely thicker than the Serum Foundation but it's still meant to be lightweight enough so it blends effortlessly with your natural tones to provide full coverage. Sheer coverage could be achieved by using a damp sponge. The finish looked just as luminous as the Serum foundation. These contain higher pigment levels than the Serum foundation but are still meant to offer a smooth finish that avoids the heavy makeup look that can make skin appear more aged.  


Ingredients:

 Aqua (Water), Coconut Alkanes, Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Caprylyl Methicone, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Coco Caprylate/Caprate, Cetyl Diglyceryl Tris(Trimethylsiloxy)silylethyl Dimethicone, Sucrose Laurate, Dipropylene Glycol, Polysilicone-11, Tocopherol, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Hectorite, Dimethicone/ Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Sodium Chloride, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin. May Contain +/-: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Tin Oxide, Aluminum Hydroxide, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Mica, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.


The Ordinary Coverage Foundation Review

 

Did it live up to the hype?


No. Not for me anyway! I think this going to be one of those formulas you're either going to love or hate! I found this formula really challenging and not as straightforward as my other foundations. The end result varied  day after day and thought this was no where near as lovely as the Serum foundation. I found that no matter which tool I used, blending was uneven, and  in certain areas it didn't seem to want to build either! At first, I thought the problem was due to the skin not having enough slip, and whilst I've tried a more glow-ier or a hydrating primer, it's still wasn't that great and kinda ended up looking too heavy and greasy on me! 

So, after a lot of faff, trying different primers and various different tools, I was ready to give up! But it wasn't until I changed the serum I'd been using in my skincare routine, to a cheap formula that I'd started trialling for an up and coming  review, it then decided to go on much better! I finally found the best tool to apply with was  my densely packed bristled sculpting brush from Real Techniques, and just dabbed in certain areas (mainly the cheeks) to gain that extra coverage. It went on a lot smoothly and evenly and didn't feel heavy on the skin. I also found I really didn't need to use a lot of product either, and if I wanted to go full coverage, I could.

I got to admit, it did look great at first but I soon noticed it began to sit in the lines of my forehead which a lot of them do anyway because at times it can be a little oily. But it was the highlighting of my pores near the laughter lines around my mouth which done it for me as it's a definite no, no - despite using powder. So, I then dabbed a small amount of Hylamide H A Blur onto the pores to hide them. A lot of work, wouldn't you say? The longevity was about average to what most foundations wear on me which is around until the early evening when its starts disappearing around the nose and chin area.

Like I said before. This foundation had me really scratching my head figuring out how best to apply,  and after spending several weeks trying different ways each  and every day, I'm left exhausted and confused, which leaves me sad as I've loved nearly everything I've tried from the Ordinary. I think I'll go and take a lie down.


Have you tried the Coverage foundation? Did you have better luck? 


Toni. xoxo

















SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I ordered both of the ordinary foundation and they arrived yesterday! I think I'm going to like the serum one a lot more as well though

    http://claresloves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig