A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Friday, 10 March 2017

Kat Von D Shade & Light Contour Face Palette : Review


Kat Von D Shade & Light Face Palette Review


A few weeks ago,  I featured the Kat Von D Shade & Light Contour Face Palette in my currently loving post, which was a product that was gifted to me last Christmas. To this day, I'm still loving it, and in today's post I thought it be nice to share with you a more in-depth review and whether it's worth the splurge.


The contouring trend has been with us for quite some time now and shows no sight in ending anytime soon. I must admit, I did embrace this trend more when it first came about and still think it's a great way to achieve sculptured cheekbones, especially for people like me who doesn't have any! But, as time went on, my preferred method is now just to lightly dust around areas of the face, a little below the chin and along the cheek bone to help bring some added warmth and depth to my look. I like to call this subtle shading because I feel contouring trends you see on Instagram can be quite ageing, especially on older skins and on me would end up looking ridiculous! 



Kat Von D Shade & Light Face Palette Review 

The Shade & Light Contour Face Palette


The Shade & Light Contour Face Palette costs £37.00 which does seem rather pricey. The palette contains 6 matte shades - 3 Light (2.3g per pan) and 3 Dark (4.5g per pan). The shades have been created to help add depth and dimension by shading, sculpting and highlighting on areas around the face. The palette itself comes in a slim but sturdy cardboard packaging with a large mirror inside. It also comes with a helpful guide sharing which shade should go where.  


Kat Von D Shade & Light Face Palette Review 

 


 The Shades


The 3 lights shades consists of a pinkish nude (Lucid) a Yellow Beige (Lyric) and a soft Peach shade (Levitation). These tones are more commonly used for highlighting under the eye area to help brighten and lift; to add and bounce off light on top of the cheek bone and along the bridge of your nose, and to use below the cheek bone to achieve a more intense sculptured effect - generally known as reverse contouring.


The 3 darker shades consists of a cooler, a more Taupe Brown (Sombre), a warmer, more Yellow Brown (Shadowplay) and a rich deep Brown (Subconscious). The shades have been created to add shape, to balance and recede areas around the face; to help diminish the look of a double chin; sculpt and chisel below the cheekbone and slenderise the nose.  


Kat Von D Shade & Light Face Palette Review

The formula


The formula has a nice smooth texture that blends really lovely across the skin. The darker shades are VERY PIGMENTED! My goodness!!! Is it pigmented?! So, a light hand is required as you barely need to touch to gain any product. Plus it can kick up a bit of excess if you're not careful!

Because it's so pigmented, I like using my Real Techniques Duo-Fibre brush for that everyday subtle shading which has been excellent for this purpose. I also like to use both the RT Contour brush and Sculpting brush for special occasions when I want a more intense look.


Kat Von D Shade & Light Face Palette Review 


Overall thoughts


Before I got this, I was happily playing around with my more affordable alternative, the Ultra Contour Palette by Makeup Revolution which only costs £8.00. The shades are really pigmented and felt it was a great product to use that did the job. I didn't think it was necessary to spend a lot of money on a Contour palette, and to some degree, I still think that. 

Also to get the true benefit of all these shades, I feel this palette would be great for any aspiring makeup artists or for someone who's really embracing the contouring trend at the moment who wants to step up to a higher end purchase. This formula won't disappoint you, as it's so pigmented it's going to last you ages! 

However, after several months of using this, I feel I couldn't possibly live without this palette now because the formula is so lovely to work with, even though the majority of the shades can lean a little warm. The cooler Brown tone (Sombre) has been my favourite and I have been loving this so much!!! My skin is more cooler/neutral toned this time of year and this cooler tone has been fantastic for mimicking shadow below the cheekbone and receding any other imperfections I may have. I'd be more than happy just to wear this shade for good! However, I feel it's unfortunate, that unlike the Contour Kit from Anastasia Beverly Hills, the pans from within the palette can't be replaced like you can with ABH. But I noticed recently on the Sephora website the palette has been redesigned so you can now buy refillable pans, which is great. Let's hope this new design will arrive here soon.

But any how, part of me is glad I got this because I've gotten to experience a little of what Kat Von D is all about which is amazing and would never have discovered Sombre if I hadn't. I'm hoping the other dark shades will become great bronzers to use during the Summer months, although I do share some doubt that the deepest shade will ever get any use. 



Do you use the Kat Von D Shade & Light Contour Face Palette? What are your favourite contouring palettes? 



Toni. xoxo 
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. This looks incredible, I love the shade and light eye palette but am yet to try this one!

    Www.coleoftheball.com xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig