A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Monday, 7 November 2016

The Ordinary: Is it anything but?



Never, have I been so excited to try a skincare care brand as much as this one. The buzz surrounding  this was "extraordinary!" My purse was crying "happy tears".  At last, our prayers have been answered. Access to these proven effective anti-aging ingredients that are featured in some of the most expensive products in the industry needn't cost the earth for us ordinary folk anymore! So out goes the fancy packaging and the high price tag, as Deciem, The Abnormal Beauty Company decided it's time things changed. Time we discovered the truth and time we discovered The Ordinary. 

If you've yet to discover The Ordinary then you really are missing something special, as this brand brings those well-known ingredients for as little as £4.90. So it's hardly surprising they've become an overnight success! I recently wrote a blog post sharing my thoughts on this exciting launch, including a link for their regime guide, details of purchase and what it could mean for the likes of you and me, which you can read here.






I made a quick decision to purchase just two products from their extensive range of over 10 clinical formulations which they are still adding by the way: Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% & Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5, after watching a video from Wayne Goss who was raving about the range.   

I've had these for about 3-4 weeks now and thought I'll give my verdict on the results so far. Spoiler alert - Let's just say I'll be ordering these again and have already ordered some others to try.



Niacinamide is known to reduce the appearance of blemishes, calm down redness in the skin, balance sebum activity (that'll be the Zinc doing its bit) and reduce the look of pores (which is what I was after). Whilst not considered a cure, this is meant to be an excellent addition to help acne sufferers too, and although may look as if it's just for spotty skin, it gives a whole lot of other benefits too! It's a watery lightweight formula that is to be applied in the morning and/or evening before the application of any moisturiser or oils. Because I use quite an active product in the evening I only use this in the morning, as to use both would be a bit too much for my skin.

At first, I was extremely surprised  to see these dropper styled bottles was made of GLASS! For something so cheap you assume the bottles would be made of plastic. The formula is a watery gel substance giving a very slight cloudy appearance. After my skin lapped up the solution, it left a  slight tacky feel which soon disappeared after I applied my moisturiser. I use about a third of the dropper (2-3 drops) for each application.  

Whilst I don't tend to suffer with a lot of spots at my age as my skin has become a lot drier than it used to be, I do have quite large pores on my forehead and some smaller ones close to the nose area which I was hoping I'd see the last of. Smoother skin was noticed at first, especially on my cheeks, it just looked better and more even toned, and was then followed with slight improvement in texture and lines between my brows (The Elevenses, I like to call them) looking less obvious! I also found this to be really effective for the odd spot that likes to pay a visit now and again.

When it came to spots, I'd spoken too soon and had one appeared just under the skin in the jaw area, which as you'll probably know all too well, these types normally take a month a Sundays to get rid of; sometimes longer if they're really stubborn. This went within a couple of weeks! I also had a few of those tiny red spots on my forehead which virtually disappeared OVER NIGHT after using this. As for my pores, I did see slight improvement on my forehead and around the nose area, but would've like to have seen more on my forehead. Perhaps I just need to be patient or perhaps my expectations is a little too much! After all, it did only cost £5.00. 





These prices are insane aren't they? Although naturally found throughout the human body, skincare brands have been using Hyaluronic Acid in anti-aging for quite a while now and is known as a water magnet due to its ability to be able to hold up 1000 times its weight in water. As we get older, our skin begins to lose its ability to hold moisture and loses that firmness and plumpness we once had when we were younger. If you wish to discover more of what Hyaluronic Acid can do for you then

According to the brand, the HA formulations that have been found in some other products don't penetrate to ease dehydration because the molecule is too big, so instead they sit on the skin and draw out moisture (hence why it's known as a water magnet) providing that temporary relief from tight skin. What's so different about this one, is that it uses 3 various molecular weights as well as HA crosspolymer to help multi-depth hydration and give visible plumping results without drawing out moisture just for that temporary relief.

Dehydration seems to go hand in hand with us Combination skinned folk and in my case, it's the cheeks that suffers the most. Once again, this is a another watery gel-like substance but much clearer this time. I use just 2-3 small drops on my skin and it absorbed like a dried out lake. My skin is looking more plump and feels a lot more comfortable too!





Overall thoughts

These watery formulas are great! They are non-greasy, unscented, easily absorbed and didn't interfere with my moisturiser or makeup. There's no denying, I've definitely seen an improvement in my skin in such a short space of time. My skin is looking more plump, glow-y, even toned and a lot smoother too; even showing some improvement in between my brow area as well. I feel when my skin feels smoother it helps my makeup look better too! And while we're on the subject of makeup I'm finding I'm able to use foundations that are a lot thinner in texture due to needing a lot less coverage. I also found the Niacinamide to be really effective for the odd spot that likes to pay a visit now and again, and think it would be great and be more of an affordable option for teenagers who often have problematic skin too.

For something so cheap I really wasn't expecting much but I can see why it's created a lot of buzz! I can't wait to try and discover more from the brand and have just received Advanced Retinoid 2% and 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Seed Oil. I've also pre-ordered the Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG which is for the eye area - yes! Ooo, how exciting! The Buffet is also on my hit list! (Ooo! I do love a buffet!) 

For Christmas, wouldn't it be great if I received skin of 24 year old instead of 44 year old? Do you see any pigs flying? Ha ha!


Have you tried any products from The Ordinary? Are there any products that you'd recommend?




                                                                           Toni. xoxo


SHARE:

5 comments

  1. I've been using the same two products from them and I think they help my skin look better too. Definitely will be ordering some more from the brand. x

    Mummy's Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting on ordering the retinol and niacinimide to use up a bit of my current skin care products. They are definitely on my to-purchase list.

    Angela / Blush & Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely review!!!
    never herd of this brand before
    www.mssparkleandglow.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also been using these two and love em! I reviewed the niacinamide serum and also found that it helped with my texture :) Can't wait to read what you think of the next three!

    Mili | Sharmtoaster

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely review! Honestly, I've actually never heard of this brand before... So thank you for introducing me to it! Both products sound absolutely amazing, and the price is definietly a huge bonus. So many skincare products these days are just so pricey! I only ever go for budget skincare, so I might check that out. :) Thank you for sharing this wonderful & informative review! xoxo

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig