A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Friday, 25 November 2016

Review: Too Faced | Primed & Poreless Pressed Powder


Too Faced Primed & Poreless Pressed Powder Review


Too Faced Primed & Poreless Pressed Powder Review


After finishing what seemed to be my umpteenth pot of the E.L.F Studio High Definition White Finishing Powder, I thought it was about time I tried something else. Don't get me wrong, I like the one from E.L.F, but like with a lot products; not only does the novelty begin to wear off after a while, you kinda get use to that initial effect you experience at the beginning.

For the past few years, I've always enjoyed the white stuff as I find they don't add extra coverage, nor tamper with my foundation shade. I also find they brighten my dull neutral complexion just nicely, and haven't experience much of that whitish cast look that some people seem to struggle with, or even flashback. Perhaps its the natural oils in my skin that's preventing this, I'm not sure.



When it comes to tinted powders, I find it quite hard to find the right shade. Too light or the wrong tone can make me look ashen. Too dark, they oxidise in my t-zone. I haven't shared much love for translucent ones either as I can't help but associate them with the old formulas that your Grandma use to use, although I'm sure just like with everything else, that's also improved. So when they introduced the white powder, I was delighted and thought "problem solved!" Since then, there are so many on the market that I'd like to try, and the Too Faced, Primed & Poreless was one of them and as being a Too Faced fan, it was a done deal! 




The claims from Too Faced 

Too Faced claim that the Primed & Poreless face powder is a silky, matte, translucent formula that performs like a weightless veil. It helps to set your makeup, control shine and minimise pores and fine lines so it achieves that flawless look. It also claims to turn any foundation into a high definition makeup due to its high-resolution and reflective powder technology to achieve that "poreless" airbrushed finish. It's infused with vitamins A, C & E to give antioxidant benefits, and contains Mulberry extract to achieve that brightening effect. The shade is adaptable to multiple skin tones (although I'm not totally convinced; especially for deeper skin tones). Not only can it be used on top of foundation, it can also be used underneath to help prep the skin. Just so you know, this powder is also vegan friendly, paraben and cruelty free. 


My past experience of pressed powders

I hadn't planned on buying the "pressed version" as I'm not all that keen on these at all. My experience of using them in the past normally left my skin looking quite cakey on me; plus they never kept that oiliness in my t-zone at bay for very long. I always hated those thin puff pad applicators. They can be so messy and so unhygienic, although I was never exactly happy with the finish brushes gave me either (I'm an awkward so and so). With loose powders, I feel I gain much more control of the amount of powder I can use, plus, I like to apply using the larger thick puff using the "press and roll " method which definitely makes a difference in keeping that shine at bay that bit longer.

So, like I just mentioned, I hadn't planned on buying this pressed version. Reason being, there was some photo issue on the Debenhams website at the time (there still is!) and ended up with this one. On the Too Faced website the loose version which I would've preferred, seems to be always out of stock! However, I always liked the feel of this whenever I was in store and often thought
"perhaps I should give it a try."


(Photo sourced from Sephora)


The Packaging

I'm a massive fan of any packaging Too Faced bring out. They're so dressing table friendly it almost seems a shame to chuck'em in your drawer; gorgeous! This stunning Pink compact is so cute and pretty, isn't it? I'd certainly wouldn't have any issues whipping this out in public for those quick touch-ups!

Inside the compact there is a mirror and also a compartment beneath the powder itself to store your puff/pad to prevent germs transferring onto the powder itself (very hygienic). On top of the puff itself there was a ribbon with the Too Faced logo attached which helped you to hold the puff whilst applying. I say was, because that lasted a couple of days. Frustratingly, the stitching from the ribbon detached away from the puff itself which I wasn't impressed; I thought the ribbon logo gave it a nice touch.




Too Faced Primed & Poreless Pressed Powder



My thoughts on the formula


With Silica being the second highest ingredient listed in the formula, there may be a risk of flashback. That didn't bother me in the slightest; I hardly ever have my photo taken so that was the last of my worries. I really loved the feel of this formula; it has a really lovely silky texture, feeling really smooth to the touch. The shade isn't as white as it looked in the picture online. It's definitely more of a translucent colour. For the few times I did over applied, it did give that whitish cast look, but that was soon sorted once I brushed off the excess!

 To begin with, a lot of pressed powders can often over-apply resulting in that cakey finish. This didn't exactly do that, it just made my skin feel a little tight; which is why at first I wasn't too sure it was for me. I have no idea why it did that though; whether it was a particular ingredient I'm allergic to, I'm not sure. Once I'd past those first initial layers of the powder, the tightness began to subside (strange that).


What I will say is that the finish is BEAUTIFUL, and it literally really does diminish my pores and lines on my forehead, giving me that soft focus look. Unfortunately, that initial effect doesn't seem to last very long, but despite that, this is the only powder that's given me that poreless finish that I'm after; even if is only for a short period! I had a go at applying this before my foundation, but found all that did was dry out my skin. 


Overall thoughts

Before I began to use my other PORE BUSTING products such as The Ordinary's Niacinamide and The HA Blur primer from Hylamide, my oils was still seeping through after a couple of hours. Now we're in the middle of Autumn, my oiliness has calmed down a little and I'm using all these other products, it's managed to keep my oiliness at bay much longer. However, without all these other products I'm not sure it'd withstand my oiliness, especially during the Summer months. For now, it's fine and I've kinda fallen in love with this; but for anyone that's really oily, I'm not convinced it'll work. I feel the loose version might be better! Plus, it'll be easier if you like to apply with a damp sponge for keeping that shine at bay just that bit longer.

Has it changed my view on pressed powders? Yes, I think it has. But maybe just for those colder months. We'll have to wait and see!

One other thing. I've only been using this for about a couple of months and I've already hit pan! Seriously???


Primed & Poreless pressed powder can be purchased at selected Debenhams stores or from their website - £24.00.  (Please note, the photo on the site shows the loose version. The item number is for the pressed).



Have you tried any from the Primed & Poreless range?





                                                                               Toni. xoxo










SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Oh wow the packaging looks so beautiful


    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that I am one of the minority as in I have not tried much from Too Faced. I know many love the packaging however I am turned off by the cutesy girly stuff and am in favour for sleekness instead. This sounds like a decent powder for the price, at least you get good use out of it! I have yet to hit pan on anything except a cream blusher years ago.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it'll work on my dry skin. And the packaging is beautiful! x

    http://www.erinazmir.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very cute. Will like to try.
    www.yvesofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousin swears by this powder. I'm not the biggest powder fan due to having dry skin but I love Too Faced products in general xx

    Beautylymin| Urban Decay Bundle Giveaway

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig