A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Monday, 21 November 2016

Review : Makeup Revolution | New-trals vs Neutrals Eyeshadow Palette


If these shades don't float your boat, I don't think anything will. During 2016, we experienced a slight twist to our neutral shades, giving us a rather different flavour than we're so use to when it comes to our palettes. These popular combinations involving: Peach, Corals, Burnt Oranges and Plummy/Raspberry tones has resulted in constant sell-outs from any brand that features them. Like I said in an earlier post: if you missed out on the Sweet Peach or can't be arsed to chase Morphe's 35O, or your budget can't quite stretch to the Modern Renaissance by Anastasia Beverly Hills, or, like me, can't justify purchasing another high-end palette, this might be just what you need. And it won't break the bank either! 

  If you follow me on Instagram, you will have seen me flirting quite a bit with this eye-catching palette - New-trals vs Neutrals by Makeup Revolution. I've gotta hand it to them; for a drugstore palette, these warmer tones have got to be the most diverse arrangement I've ever come across. I've been "umming and ahhing" for months on whether to get this, but once Autumn was upon us, the decision was made. It's autumnal feel is suited to a tea, although I couldn't help but notice it also has a rather nice Spring/Summer appeal to it well; so, it's little wonder why these arrangements have been so popular! Ok; let's do some nit picking and check out some more of these shades, shall we?!



Makeup Revolution New-trals vs Neutrals Eyeshadow Palette

Makeup Revolution New-trals vs Neutrals Eyeshadow Palette



The Packaging

It comes packaged in their usual matte style compact that's sleek and familiar to any Makeup Revolution fan. Inside you have 16 gorgeous shades to play around till your heart's content and also includes a huge mirror just inside the lid. The actual rectangular pans themselves come in the exactly same format as the Iconic Pro 1 & 2 (palettes that was their take on from the Lorac Pro series). I don't have the Pro 2 but do have the Pro 1, so if you're eyeing up that one as well, that also gets the thumbs up from me! 

You also get a double-ended brush, which you'd have to agree is far better than those horrible sponge tip applicators. Unfortunately, the brush is rather a scratchy one which is a shame as I found the brush to be pretty decent to apply with; especially the flat-ended side.






The shades and finishes


To be honest, I only bought this palette for the 5 shades in the top row, as I thought for £6.99, I wasn't too bothered about the rest, although some of the others turned out to be rather nice for the price! But as in saying that, I highly recommend priming the lids first, using either an eyeshadow primer or a concealer to get the best out of the shades.

All shades give a nice, smooth buttery texture. Swatches on my arm were achieved without the use of a primer.  

Top Row:

Bias - satin Champagne shade giving a soft buttery texture. A nice shade to use for highlighting below the brow bone and inner tear duct area. 

Neutral - matte light pink-y Beige. Nicely pigmented giving that same smooth buttery texture.

Personal - satin golden Peach. Finish wise, it didn't seem too sure what is was. Neither matte nor satin, really. The very slight sheen to the shade didn't work and really lacked oomph! Needed building a lot. Would've performed better as a matte.

Vogue -  a gorgeous satin Coral with a slight pink-y sheen. Again, nicely pigmented but can be worn sheer if used with a light hand.

Trend - a burnt Orange shade with a matte finish. Stunning shade that's great for this time of year. Once again, can be applied with a lighter hand to achieve a sheerer look. 

New-tral - satin Plum shade with a slight pink-y sheen. Comes off this beautiful raspberry colour! So unusual, although needed building a little to achieve the best of that vibrancy.

Tone - deep plum with a matte finish.The most pigmented of the bunch! Stunning colour!

Custom - a chocolate Brown shade.  Needed building and came of patchy! Workable.






Bottom Row:

Cool - light Beige matte finish. Great to use for all over the eye area to achieve a blank canvas look.


Style - a light Pink glitter. Applies a little sheer, needed building but is workable.

Partial - rosy toned Pink foil. A very pretty shade that reminded me of the Naked 3 Palette. Applied really nicely with the flat-ended brush supplied.

Mode -  a shimmery/foil Bronze. Applied just as nice as Partial using the same brush. Beautiful! Very similar to the shade Medal from their Flawless palette and You Are Finally Mine from Run Boy Run Palette.

Adapt a matte muted Pink/Mauve. Lovely soft texture that's nicely pigmented.

Buff - shimmery Taupe that leans more Brown. A really stunning taupe-y Brown, however it's not the same Buff that features in their Flawless palette.

Suit - a Brown Taupe with a slight Purple satin sheen. Looks really cool when applied on top of darker shades for adding drama.

Strong: a dark Burgundy Brown with added pink glitter. Applies a little patchy and the pink-y glitter doesn't show on the eye. The shade also comes off rather muddy looking as well.  These deep brownie/burgundy/purple-y shades or whatever colour they're meant to be are featured quite a lot in their palettes and I don't understand why? They never perform well and even after building they still look muddy! My least favourite.






Overall thoughts

With regards to these drugstore palettes, I always tell myself you're not paying a lot for these so expect them to be a little hit and miss. However, this is probably one of their better performing palettes I've have to date. I was pleased to discover 4 out of the 5 shades I liked from the top row performed well with the exception of Personal. Overall, most of the shades are nicely pigmented and blended easily, however, some needed more building than others. As per usual, I always use an eye primer prior to applying any eyeshadow; whether it be drugstore or high-end to help with the longevity. These performed exceptionally well - over 10 hours! I experienced hardly any fall-out, however, I'm not exactly the most heavy-handed person when it comes to applying eyeshadow, as I like to build up colour slowly.

Had the quality in the double-ended brush been a little better, that would've been really super as the application was surprisingly good. The size of the fluffy-ended side was spot on for my crease and felt the flat-ended side brought out the best of the shades; especially the shimmer/foils. However, it's still a massive improvement from those sponge tip applicators.


Do you use the New-trals vs Neutrals palette?


                                                                          Toni. xoxo

SHARE:

8 comments

  1. These colours are beautiful, definitely a perfect fit for fall

    http://technicolor-heart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this palette is one of their best :) The matte shades in the top row are great and perfect for this time of year. It's a fantastic alternative to the Modern Renaissance palette. x

    Mummy's Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. This palette is really pretty! I love the variety of shades :)


    xo, Liz
    http://lipstickandconfetti.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! A 10 hour wear time is very impressive! I love the color selection of the palette :) It really does seem like a great alternative to the ABH MR palette :)

    Mili | Sharmtoaster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. What would we do without our eye primers, eh? xx

      Delete
  5. I have this, one of my absolute faves xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig