A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Monday, 28 November 2016

Love, Like, Loathe! Budget Concealers




Love, Like, Loathe! Budget/Drugstore Concealers

In this post, I'll be sharing a round-up of drugstore concealers that I've loved, liked and loathed throughout this year.
 There are some that I've loved that much I've repurchased. Some that I liked but for some reason won't be the obvious choice for me in the future. And some I absolutely hated!

For me, concealers are a staple product to use for covering the under eye area so it looks like I've had a good nights kip. I don't sport the most darkest of circles but do have eye bags which I know no matter what I do nothing will get rid of them entirely! Despite this, I still like to look I've made some sort of effort in trying to hide them by making the skin look more even toned. Before applying any concealer, regardless of whatever brand that may be, I always use a Peach corrector for covering and neutralising the actual shadow of those damn eye bags! 



(Photography has been an absolute bugger to do now Winter is approaching. Light, clarity, "insanity," everything seems to have disappeared. The struggle is real!)




Maybelline Fit Me, Age Rewind & Nyx HD Concealers Review


Love!

Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser | £7.99



 I would seriously consider this my number one drugstore concealer. I know a lot of people don't like the sponge applicator, but for me, I think this is what makes it work! Now I've reached a certain age, thick creamy formulas are a no no for me as all they do is sit in my lines and crease.

The formula is excellent and the application is a doddle! It applies without creasing, caking or 
drying - it's just a bloody dream!!! I love how the formula is so lightweight and blend-able giving medium to full-ish coverage without tugging on the skin because I can just the dab it on using the attached sponge applicator. Yes, I know people bang on about that the sponge not being very hygienic, but as long as the area is clean and you put the cap straight back on or "you're not sharing it with your neighbours", haha, for me it's not an issue.

 For a drugstore product, it's probably the closest thing I'll get to achieving even coverage but also covering my sun spot I have just below the eye area. It's easy and super blend-able when using my Real Techniques mini sponge, and once it's set with powder, it lasts all day! The only downside is there are only two shades available which is RIDICULOUS! It's such a good concealer! I'm in Nude which I can just about get away with so, I use this for days when I want it to match my skintone rather than for highlighting. The Light shade doesn't look to great on me! 
C'mon Maybelline. Some of us aren't born with it!




Maybelline Fit Me | £5.99


Another firm favourite from Maybelline, again only two shades in store (annoying!) Although online, there's meant to be six, I only found three! Everyone seems to consider this a dupe for the Nars Cream Concealer which I have to disagree. At first view they may well look a like but the one from Nars seems to be much drier in consistency and is more pigmented than the one from Maybelline.

The shades have a more of a yellow undertone to them than the Age Rewind which I prefer so for me  makes this ideal for highlighting under the eye area. Sometimes and depending whatever mood I'm in, I use this instead of the Age Rewind for the under eye area; especially during the Summer months because the formula is so lightweight. 

This gel formula has more of a light to medium coverage that's build-able, giving a lovely smooth, slightly dewy finish. This also doesn't crease or cake on me either, although I just wished the coverage was a tad fuller, then it'd be perfect! The small doe foot wand applicator ensures that easy on the spot application for covering blemishes and gives added control when creating that highlighting effect on areas of the face. For a drugstore concealer, I think this really excellent! I use shade 20.



Nyx HD Concealer | £5.50 - review and swatches


I love the formula of this except I haven't been able to enjoy it as much as I would liked as I got the wrong shade! It's too light and looks a bit ashen on me. 

This has a lightweight consistency that isn't too emollient that it creases nor too drying that it cakes on me. It gives a slightly more fuller coverage than the Maybelline Fit Me and again it comes with a doe foot applicator to ensure easy build-able application. If I was to ever to find the right shade, this might knock the Age Rewind off the top spot. For some reason, I find this the better one out of all of them here for covering spots. The shade range is a lot better than Maybelline, giving a total of 8 to choose from. 



L.A Pro Conceal HD Concealer, Bourjois Radiance Reveal Review


Like! 


How it is possible that one of the cheapest brands can pull-off a massive extensive shade range of over 20!!! This brand has got to have one of the biggest shade range on the planet. How amazing is that?! Other brands take note.

This is mega cheap for what it does! Yes it may look a little on the thick-ish side, but once applied it's actually more lightweight than it looks. This also doesn't cake on me and covers quite well after blending with my damp R.T mini sponge. I also love the fact that you can purchase these in much deeper tones for cream contouring. It sits well under my eyes but not as nice as the Age Rewind and the only other thing, it can sometimes have a tendency to fade throughout the day. I'm not keen on the brush applicator as it's a little scratchy! So, I just squeeze the product on to the back of my hand and apply with my RT mini sponge. The only other thing is the shades can lean that bit too much towards the Orange spectrum.  

Like - Kind of!

Bourjois Radiance Reveal | £7.99 - full review and swatches

Was is it drugstore concealers? Their shade range is just so poor! Another one with just two shades to choose from although it says three on the Bourjois website.

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this one which is a shame as I love the packaging and the radiance look it gives on my skin. On a good day, my under eye looks really illuminated and wide awake and I really love the scent too which isn't too dissimilar to their City Radiance foundation. Because of it's glow-y appearance, this had the potential to be a really good concealer, but despite it's thicker and build-able texture, the coverage for me kind of falls short, especially during the Winter months when my dark circles become more noticeable. 



Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer, L'Oreal Touche Magique


Loathe!  

Collection Lasting Perfection | £4.19

I honestly don't get the hype surrounding this! It sits awful on me! This enhances my flaws, not cover them! The shades are horrible as well, leaning towards more Pink which make me look ill and old! This thick formula takes me back to the time when drugstore formulas weren't that great like I've headed back to the Eighties or something! Maybe if you have tight, smooth skin, it'll work for you. If not, you have been warned!



L'Oreal True Magic Touché Magique | £7.99 


I hated their True Match foundation so I suppose it was only natural not to love this! The new version looks different to the one I have as mine has probably long gone past it's sell-by date. I kept it just in case I did one of these types of posts. The pen applicator works quite well, and to begin with the formula looks quite promising! It gives quite a decent coverage but once again, after a few hours I notice it doesn't sit on my skin very well (the formula starts to separate) and begins to show my fines.



Have you tried any of these concealers? What are your favourite drugstore concealers?



Toni. xoxo










SHARE:

5 comments

  1. All your pictures are so pretty, and I see that you like pink just like me ;)
    x Caroline
    www.silverstories.dk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see we love and dislike the same concealers :) Although I don't like the LA Girl concealer, it feels really heavy on my under eyes and it's difficult to blend but maybe I just got a bad one because I got it from eBay some time ago. x

    Mummy's Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Maybelline Instant Age Rewind and FitMe the most too and I never felt the need to try any high end concealers because both worth so amazing on me. I really need to give NYX HD concealer a try for sure because many seems to love it too!

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  4. NYX HD concealer is definitely on my to buy list. Really keen to try that one, my favourite affordable concealers are Age Rewind and Collection Lasting Perfection. I love the darker LA concealers to contour with but can't figure out what shade to get for under my eyes as it is so pigmented. The ones I have tried so far have been way too pale. Thanks for sharing Toni, I love these posts xxx

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate the Collection one too - it is so, so drying & cakey on me! I need to try that first Maybelline one but only having two shades is a bit ridiculous! xx

    Beautylymin| Urban Decay Bundle Giveaway

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig