A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Monday, 19 September 2016

Review: Morphe 35P Colour Plum Eyeshadow Palette

Morphe 350P Eyeshadow Palette Review

Hi, everyone! 

There's been a lot talk recently from other bloggers sharing their love of the things Autumn and I've got to admit, I didn't exactly welcome the new season with open arms! I was never one to embrace  this "topsy tervy" climate we endure here in ole Blighty! Although the recent Indian Summer has  stalled the Autumn season that bit longer. Luckily, I had a new palette waiting in the wings ready to be trialled - one of those large Morphe palettes, sharing the Autumn plummy tones of the 35P. 





Where it was purchased:

Just before my holiday, an email from Beauty Bay popped into my inbox informing me that the ever popular eyeshadow palettes from Morphe were finally back in stock. They are always out of stock although you can also get these from Cult Beauty and Cocktail Cosmetics. I made no hesitation and ordered the 35P as I thought these shades had that autumnal look about them, and I love the fact that its contains a good arrangement of Neutrals and Plum shades with a pop of Purple. The 35O that every makeup fan on the planet seems to own, was out of stock at the time.  But to be honest, I have quite a few of those types of shades, so it wasn't the end of the world.

Rumours:

Another reason I ordered this palette was I wanted to discover the formulas from Morphe, as these palettes seem to have reach cult status amongst makeup fans, and wanted to finally put these other rumours to bed:

Performance from Morphe are hit and miss.

They are manufactured or packaged from the same factory as Crown Brushes (a brand that unimpressed me when I swatched their shadows at a recent visit to IMATS,) Their brushes are also rumoured to be from the same factory. 

And lastly, a question that only you guys might know: Are they the same as Coastal Scents, BH Cosmetics and Sedona Lace? 


Morphe 35P Eyeshadow Palette Review


The palette itself:

First of all, let's just applaud the fact that you get 35 shades that all come in very large pans for under £20 - actually £19.50 to be precise if purchased from Beauty Bay.

The size of the pallet itself is absolutely HUGE! So huge, it's the size of my HEAD!  So, obviously not the best  travelling companion. The packaging is bulky, plastic-y, cumbersome and cheap! So if you are looking for something pretty and eye catching for the dressing table, you're not going to get it with this! There's no mirror included inside the lid either which I suppose would've felt a bit too big and heavy to hold.


Morphe Eyeshadow Palette Review

The Shades:

From left to right: the first two rows contain neutral warm Browns, before migrating in subsequent rows containing further mixtures of Neutrals, Berry and Plummy tones. The final row completes the palette with some eye catching Purples. A Black also features in this palette. Unfortunately, the shades have no names which makes this difficult to identify when discussing the shades.

Texture wise, I was really impressed with the smooth buttery feel of the shades despite coming off a little dusty when used (when shadow spreads beyond the pan when swirled with a brush) and think most are lovely. There are some that are that smooth, you barely noticed you were actually touching them!

Pigmentation wise, again, I was pretty impressed - especially the mattes. Although when it came to the satin and shimmers, some were better than others. However, I thought the Purples were INCREDIBLE!!!  I really love them. So if you're after some nice purples, then these will not disappoint you. The pigmentation in these are excellent which is unusual, as Purples are often considered difficult to pull off. Morphe have really nailed it with these!

The other thing to consider is there are a lot of dark shades in this arrangement. But to be honest, it turned out to be a bit of a blessing in disguise. If you're anything like me, and have a tendency of reaching for shades that are a little too light for adding depth, you'll make no mistake with this one and confidence will grow in no time using these deeper tones. I wouldn't consider this just for evening wear either as there are some really beautiful daytime looks that can be created too!

Despite my love for plummy tones, they can have a tendency to make your eyes look sore if you're not careful! So the assistance of the warm Browns, and that Gold, really helped to give balance by adding that touch of warmth.

Morphe 35P Eyeshadow Palette


The Gripes:

However, what I think is a real shame is that some of the shimmers and satins really let this palette down. There is one very deep berry brownish glitter shade that has a combination or Orange/Red/Pink flecks which unfortunately doesn't transfer well onto the eye. It would have a been nice to have seen the iridescent flecks of the glitter show through. Plus, it was rather crumbly too which meant an awful lot of fallout!   

Other shades I had issues with included the first gold shade in the second row as once again lacked intensity of the shimmer, although as in saying that, it could've been toned down for the purpose of using it as a gentle highlighter. A purple in the top, second from last row also lacked oomph! It was very weak! So I tried applying these shades using my ring finger. The shimmers combined ok but some still lacked that wow factor. 

I wouldn't exactly call this a massive gripe but I do find some of the mattes can come off a little stiff and needed blending more, but nothing major.

It would have been nice to see a pale pink shimmer in the mix. Something similar along the lines of Urban Decay's SWF or Buzz, as I felt choice is a bit limited with regards to the pale shimmers.

You may experience slight smudging or fall down when using the darker shades as liners. So a primer may be needed below the lash line.

My only other gripe is what often comes with a lot of theses types of large arrangements is there are few overlaps here where the shades can look very similar, although some did show off a different finish.

Not quite sure if this would be considered a gripe, but I did find some of the shades came off a little more pink than anticipated. But that's not the fault of the palette - that's probably just me not paying enough attention when I ordered this. However, once I added extra products to my look including Aura After Glow Highlighter by Urban Decay, Cabana Boy blusher by the Balm and  a slick of Blankety lipstick by Mac on the lips, not only did these help really pull the look together, it looked stunning!

    

Morphe 35P Eyeshadow Palette Review

First 9 shades L-R

Morphe 35P Eyeshadow Palette Review

Bottom 6 shades L-R

Morphe 35P Eyeshadow Palette Review


Morphe 35P Eyeshadow Palette Review

Top/Middle 9 Shades L-R

Morphe 35P Eyeshadow Palette Review

Ignore the photo above as they didn't photograph well. The swatches below give a much truer look!

Morphe 35P Eyeshadow Palette Review

Bottom/Middle 6 Shades L-R

Morphe 35P Eyeshadow Palette Review


Morphe 35P Eyeshadow Palette Review

Last Row Purples

Morphe 35P Eyeshadow Palette Review

Morphe 35P Eyeshadow Palette Review

Morphe 35P Eyeshadow Palette Review, Purples

Wow! Check out those Purples! 


Overall Thoughts

I'm a Morphe virgin so this is my very first palette from them and I suppose I can see what all the fuss is about. I mean, you are getting 35 shades for under £20, aren't you? I thought most of the matte shades are lovely. I do like this palette as it gives me some gorgeous purples as well as a nice assortment of cool and warm neutrals, albeit some very dark! 

I was able to produce some lovely eye catching looks, and was seriously impressed with their staying power and their ability to hold pigmentation all day despite only using the Beige Maybelline color tattoos as a base

However, some of the satin and shimmers were a big disappointment. Like I just said, this is my first palette from this brand and if those shimmers are anything to go by when it comes to the hit and miss claims, then they may have a point! Yes, it's a nice palette, however there are others that I own that perform far better!

As with most of these type of large palettes, you're always gonna get a few that don't perform as well as others. But despite this, the quality of the remaining shades are really nice when you consider what you pay for. Ok, the formulas may be basic and doesn't give you skincare loving ingredients, but I think they do a pretty decent job of giving you solid colour that gives you the ability to create an array of gorgeous looks all for under £20. Plus, these pans are pretty big aren't they?


Have you tried any palettes from Morphe?





                                                                           Toni. xoxo











SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Those are some beautiful shades! :)

    Lotte | www.lottebeautybox.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame some of the shades were a let down but the purple shimmers were amazing

    Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, I have 3 Morphe palettes and all of them have some weaker shades, there are also many similar shades in those palettes. I wish they made them smaller, let's say 25 shades but picked only the best ones.
    Still, for the money, I think they're great eyeshadows. x

    Mummy’s Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Dagmara. A smaller palette consisting all the best shades would really highlight great value for money. Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig