A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Friday, 19 August 2016

Mini Haul From Makeup Geek


Makeup Geek Eyeshadows and Eyeliner Review


Makeup Geek Eyeshadows and Eyeliner Review

Makeup Geek Eyeshadows and Eyeliner Review

Yes, I'm very late to the party, aren't I? But I wanted to wait for the country to "calm down" after the initial arrival of US brand, Makeup Geek, as I felt these were featured on every blog known to man! You know, I can be a bit of a funny bugger at times, as when something that has been hyped up to the hill as these shadows, I can find it off putting, and often encourage me to turn in the opposite direction! Of course, there's no need to apologise! After all, we all love sharing what we love! 


I decided to order three shades, Beaches and Cream, Cherry Cola and Poppy at £4.95 each from online beauty website, Beauty Bay. Just to test the water. Also including in this order was a Black eyeliner which is also from the range. The shadows come delivered in a thin cardboard sleeve. No lid, no nothing. So you really need to store these in a magnetic palette form of some kind.

Magnetic Eyeshadow Palette:

The empty black magnetic eyeshadow palette that's used to house the shades was purchased from EBay at only £4.99 including free p&p, as dare I say it, I'm not overly keen on the look of the Z palettes (shock horror!) I don't like that unfinished look around each pan but do like the practicality of the see through window on the lid that shows exactly what's what! I did think about getting a magnetic palette from Make Up For Ever, but the delivery charge was almost the same price as the palette size I wanted. You may find it handy to know, this palette will fit single pans from Mac but not the large pans from Make Up For Ever.

Makeup Geek Eyeshadows Review Beaches & Cream, Poppy, Cherry Cola


Makeup Geek Full Spectrum Eyeliner


Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Swatches, Beaches & Cream, Poppy, Cherry Cola

Makeup Geek Shadows

Beaches and Cream and Poppy, both mattes, have the most beautiful textures I've ever experienced for eyeshadows costing 5p short of a fiver each. They are super creamy, giving solid pigmentation that's an absolute dream to blend. Beaches and Cream is a very smooth, silky peachy beige. I thought  the subtle Pink tones in the bright Orange shade of Poppy was well fitting for use during the Summer months, and looked stunning when paired with Cherry Cola, a Red toned Brown, when used in the crease area.

Cherry Cola is a matte shade that's drier and is also slightly gritty in texture but performed just as well as the other two despite lacking that smoothness and helps to really bring out the natural colour of the eye. These pans are a good size and certainly won't break the bank when they need replacing. 


Overall thoughts:

Yes, Marlena from Makeup Geek has done a grand job of these shadows (she says, in a calmly manner. None of that screechy "it's amazing, it's amazing" type of tone. I'm a miserable so and so aren't I?) I can certainly see why the country as gone absolutely bonkers over these as the brand continues to achieve phenomenal success, both here and across the pond.    

But one other thing I've learned apart from these impressive formulas of Makeup Geek is how buying single shadow pans can give you such versatility in creating your very own custom palette. Yes, buying the instantly arranged types may work out cheaper, as you get a lot more shadows for the money, but there's no denying that there'll always be a couple of shades that you'll never use. With your own creation, you can add and remove your very own arrangement for what ever occasion suits you, which is what also make this perfect for travelling. I can have my essential neutrals with some added pops of colour too! Love it! 


The intense shade of this Black eyeliner is perfect for creating drama as a base for shadows, smoky eyes or a winged liner. Very smooth and buttery that makes it easy to apply without any danger of dragging the skin around the eye. Like most liners on me, it did smudge a little, but just a touch. So I have to set it with shadow when worn along the waterline or use a primer below the lower lash line.


Do you own any products from Makeup Geek? 



                                                                          Toni. xoxo







SHARE:

5 comments

  1. I'm not even at the party yet - that's how late I am! You've chosen beautiful shades. I'll definitely be buying some soon xx

    Beautylymin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried Makeup Geek but creating your own palette sounds really clever and I love the shades you picked up!

    Anoushka Probyn - A London Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great haul! I love the MUG shadows, but I've never tried their liners before xx

    Gemma ♡ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig